Tuesday, December 15, 2020

The Train Diary [with a difference]


I pushed my suitcase below the berth, carefully fastening the safety chain around it and placed my backpack on the upper berth as I settled down at my window seat, S3 Sleeper coach, Seshadri Express. Thankfully I had a confirmed ticket, which reserved several days in advance. It was already dark outside and could see my co-passengers taking out their dinner pouches, gearing for early supper. I will have late, I decided.

The train sped forward and the gentle breeze from the open window refreshed the grueling humid weather.

I looked at my watch, it was 8:30 PM now half hour since the train had started, I pulled out a short-stories book from bag and started reading it to ease the time.

"Tickets Please" The TTEs voice echoed its way into the compartment. He was a tall, bespectacled man donning a black suit, and a silver badge on the chest with the letters "TTE", with a bunch of papers in his hand. My co-passengers started showing their tickets one by one, he checked and noted in his papers. It was my turn, I showed my ticket. "ID please"

He said. I showed by "PAN" card, he nodded after examining it intently, satisfied and made a mark in his sheet. He then marched off saying "All good, Enjoy the journey!"

I again got absorbed into my book. 

"Tickets please!" The TTE was back again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment