Sunday, May 5, 2013

Train Diaries:The Strict TTE(2)

Beside me sat a family, husband-wife with their little kid who was around 4 months old. The kid started crying after a while, and the wife started singing some lullaby to put the baby to sleep. I was amused.
Soon chai walls, hawkers and 'masala moori' wallas filled the coach, screaming at the top of their voices.
Admist the chaos, I still was enjoying the journey glancing at the chaning scennary outside the window.

"I am a Railway Employee" said the man sitting on the opposite berth. His wife was sitting beside him near the window. "I have been working with the Indian Railways for almost 5 years. I know quite many people there".

"Ok, That sounds good" I  said disinterested in his speech, and turned towards the window.

He tapped me, "What about you?"

I told him, I was working in IT and travelling home for vacation.

He remained silent for a while and started his speech again.

"You know" He began, "I don't require any id proof like you people to travel" He fished out his Railway Id card, "This alone is sufficient"

"But I heard Railway employees have pass to travel" I said.

"Yeas, its true. But I just wanted to see how a sleeper coach looks like. I always travel in AC2 or 3 tier you know" he bragged ,"I didnt bring pass delibrately and bought tickets."

"Please stop it" muttered his wife.

"You be quite" He shouted at her.

She looked out of the window.

He resumed "You know, whenever we travel to a new place, we are given Railway Guest house and you know the rent? It's just 10 Rupees!"

"OK" I said without the need of any surprise, which presumably he required at this moment.

"It's only 10 rupees!" He said atleast three times, to see for any expression of surprise on my face.

But I gave him a cold look.

"Tickets please"

The TTE arrived at the scene.

"Tickets please. Also show your id proofs". Soon the passengers showed their tickets with id proofs. I showed mine as well, I had brought my passport.

"Fine" he said putting a tick mark on his sheet.

"What about you, gentleman?" He said, looking at the "Railway Employee" infront of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment